What is a civil matrimony?
It is the formal union of two partners, to be recognized as married before civil authorities, offering them their rights and duties as a marital union.
It is valid for couples of a different gender as well as same sex couples.
- Photocopy of their national ID cards.
- Marriage request.
- National ID cards.
- An authenticated copy of their birth certificates, with a maximum of one (1) month since they were expedited, if their marriage will take place in Colombia. If it will take place overseas, it can be three (3) months.
- The birth certificates must include the text “valid for marriage”.
- If the couple is between 14 and 18 years of age, they must present a written permission from their parents or legal guardians. The notary may not marry anyone under 14 years of age.
- Power of attorney in the case of marriage via power.
People who are divorced must include:
- An authenticated copy of their birth certificates, with a maximum of one (1) month since they were expedited, if their marriage will take place in Colombia. If it will take place overseas, it can be three (3) months, with respective attachments of the divorce and liquidation of the partnership.
- Copy of the book/s that confirm the divorce.
- Copy of the books that confirm the ceasing of the effects of civil matrimony and liquidation of the partnership.
- Birth certificate of the spouse.
- Death certificate of the spouse (for widowers)
Foreigners: Documents must include an expiration date no longer than 3 months.
- Marriage request.
- Passport or foreign ID card.
- Official translation of the birth certificate, authenticated.
- Certification of not being married or something equivalent to that.
- Official translator if the person does not speak Spanish, in order to intervene in the act.
Frequently Asked Questions
What must take place if one of the partners cannot attend?
a power of attorney must be provided, one that is stated in a public deed or private document that is authenticated. If the person is overseas, they must authenticate and translate their specific case.
Which documents are required for the civil matrimony?
A photocopy of the national ID card, a birth certificate that is valid in order to get married and a request for a civil matrimony that is processed and authenticated.
What must be included if there are minor children outside of the relationship?
An inventory with the minor’s assets must be presented.
Can a minor get married?
Yes, but they must meet the following criteria: a. They must be at least 14, b. An authenticated permission letter must be included from their parents or legal guardians.
If a couple has not gotten married, but already have kids, what must they do?
Along with the previously mentioned documents, they must include the birth certificated of the children they share in order to prove their legitimacy.
What happens if there was a previous marriage?
Additionally, the following will be required: Birth certificate with an annotation about the divorce, dissolution and liquidation of the marriage partnership; in the case of a widow, a registration of this.
If I got married overseas, what happens in this case?
Marriages that take place overseas between two people born in Colombia or a Colombian by birth and a foreign national, must also be registered under Colombian law, presenting the authenticated marriage certificate, and if it the case, officially translated into Spanish by a certified translator.