Change of name or surname

We want you to stay up to date! Here you may consult everything you need to know about changing a name or surname before requesting it from the Third Notary of Montería.

> What is it?
> Requirements
> Frequently Asked Questions

What is a change of name or surname?

Colombian citizens have the option of changing their name and/or surnames.
This process is carried out via public deed; with legal adults it can only be done once with the exception of when the new name corresponds to a change of gender.


  • Civil Registry
  • National ID Card
  • Authenticated copy of the birth certificate that is to be modified.
  • If this is to be done for a person from a indigenous community or town, their birth certificate and permission from the indigenous authorities must be presented.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is required for the change of name or surname?

A copy of the birth certificate, in order to solicit the fulfillment of a public deed for a change of in the notary where the person is registered. After modifying the original birth certificate, a new one will be obtained with a different serial number.

If my parents changed my name while I was still a minor, can I still change it?

Yes, when the person becomes an adult, they may change their name only once (except for when the new name is due to a change of gender).

If I change my surnames, does the relationship with my parents disappear?

No, the law authorizes a name change whenever someone desires it, but thus does not modify the family relationship, nor what it represents before the law.

Can a married woman remove or add her husband's last name as well as the Spanish surname preposition "de"?

Yes, said process can be carried out in a notary.

Skip to content